Soooooo, pugs are adorable!
AKC says they are the 32nd most favorite breed of dogs. I'm not sure I understand that because it seems like everyone knows someone who has a pug. And you see them in all kinds of funny videos, pictures, memes, etc. Who hasn't seen the Doritos ads?
Since pugs are so popular, people are pretty familiar with their square little bodies, curly tails and squishy faces. But how about some info that isn't as well known? I started searching Google, because where else do you go for quick info?
I found out
1) Pugs are one of the oldest breeds, tracing back to 400 B.C.
2) Pekingese and Cavalier Spaniels as well as other breeds trace back to Pugs
3) They have an oriental origin and were carried from China to Europe in the 16th century
4) Napoleon's wife, Josephine, used her pug, Fortune, to carry secret messages to her husband and family while she was in prison
5) Bred to be companions and crave closeness to their humans
6) Pugs are eager to please and clowns at heart
7) Pugs adapt easily so they are great with kids
8) They don't need alot of exercise so they are good for apartment living or first time dog owners
9) Pugs usually have a great appetite and are prone to obesity.
10) Pugs are brachycephalic, which means they have a broad, short skull. This means that they have a more difficult time cooling off than other dogs so care needs to be taken to keep them cool.
People who love pugs are very enthusiastic about their dogs. I think pugs are pretty darn popular!