Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Funny Dog Story, Aussie Style


Rocket was my heart dog.  We met when I met the man who was to become my husband and we quickly connected.  She was sooooooo smart.  And soooooooo caring. I could go on about her for a long time because she was one when we met and almost fourteen when she died.

One of the dog blogs I was reading recently inspired me to tell a story about Rocket and her uncanny way of understanding and doing what she knew I wanted.

Living on a farm, we have lots of different animals show up; especially cats.  On this one instance, my husband and I were walking through one of our buildings talking about the equipment that needed fixed.  I wasn't watching my feet and almost stepped on a very tiny kitten, with its eyes not yet opened and its umbilical cord still attached.  It did NOT get there all by itself.  

We figured where there was one kitten, it was likely there would be more.  After a little searching, we found five more.  No mama cat. The babies were a bit spread out so it looked like she'd been gone a while and wasn't coming back.

We took them to the house and got prepared to bottle feed them because that's what I do; I take in strays.  All did well through the night and we went about our business.  

The next morning, here comes Rocket.  She had something in her mouth and of course we had to check.  It was a seventh kitten!  She had very gently carried it up to us and gave it to me.  I swear I could hear her say "you're collecting these, aren't you?"  

Well, long story short, all the kitties made it and found new homes.  

I have lots of stories to tell about Rocket, so stay tuned for another installment.  She was one of a kind!

6 comments:

  1. Aww I hope to hear more stories soon!! xxxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! That's such a wonderful story! What a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you were there for the kittens and Rocket helped to make sure you didn't miss any. What a neat story!

    ReplyDelete