Thursday, September 24, 2015

Thoughtless Thursday, or Remember Me Thursday



Today, we're joining the Boys from the Bayou and M.K. Clinton in celebrating Remember Me Thursday. We lit a candle for today and you can as well if you click the link. M.K. Clinton wrote a fantastic piece  about this organization and I certainly don't need to repeat her words.  

Everyday, you see the stories of the dogs and cats who are in shelters with little if any chance for a better life.  So many are euthanized because they aren't placed. I believe most if not all of them understand what is happening and it breaks my heart that they leave this world feeling unloved and unwanted.

I know there are purposes for having purebred dogs and certainly support those responsible breeders as well. Responsible meaning they take responsibility for the offspring they produce and do it for the improvement of the breed and their ability. The ideal purebred is going to excel at a specific job (think hunting, herding, etc.).  Not everyone needs a specialized dog. 

Many of us are looking for companionship; a friend. So many of these dogs and cats could be that friend if given a chance.  I would love for people to at least CONSIDER adoption before they buy a from a breeder.  





Today we're joining the Thoughtless Thursday Blog Hop hosted by


Check it out!

9 comments:

  1. My heart is sad for those shelter dogs too. They only want to love and be loved. I love that there are blogger voices to speak for them. I am learning more about things I can do to help them find their forever homes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree!! Adopt don't shop! Our BabyBelle was adopted and she is a gift from Heaven!! We saved her and she saved us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reading an article a while ago about how hard rescue shelters are making it for people to adopt. Some of them apparently make them answer all these questions and reject them for things like being away for 8-10 hours a day or letting their dogs out to pee in a fenced back yard without standing out there with them. So people have given up and gone to breeders...which sucks but I took from that that there are so many people buying from shelter snow, they have the ability to turn people away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you say happens. Unfortunately, I think they get caught up in finding a "perfect" home instead of a good one.

      Delete
  4. Sooooooo many rescues in need, it's terrible!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said. For some people a rescue is a good option. I only wish rescues would lower fees. Some are so high, especially for some of the adult dogs. I also wish all rescues would take their problem dogs back as responsible breeders do.

    ReplyDelete